I’m currently working on a series of art quilts exploring the theme of climate change; and, I’ve been reading about the UN’s most recent report on climate. It inspired me to create this visual summary and initiate an action! I feel like there are so many stories that need telling, but issues like climate change can leave us wondering what one little ole person can actually do. 🤷♀️ As Rebecca Solnit says, we already have a framework for change, and now it’s a political issue to rally enough people to overcome the vested interests of the status quo. It’ll take full participation to steer us toward the best case scenario! And, the future is not written yet.
So, I’ve started a #bethechange email/letter sending campaign to motivate us all to speak our minds to those in power. If you care about this topic, go tell ’em! You can copy and paste my example letter below or create your own. Send to local businesses, banks, government officials, and anyone with the power and $$$ to influence policy. One letter might not make much impact, but hundreds, thousands, they actually really do, and it just takes a sec. 🌱 Please share! Be the change! We are the people we’ve been waiting for.
Dear [Person or Organization],
I am writing to express my concern about the current state of our environment and the urgent need for climate action. The recent extreme weather events and natural disasters, such as hurricanes, wildfires, and floods, are clear evidence that the effects of climate change are already happening and affecting our communities.
As your [constituent or customer] I urge you to take bold action to address this pressing issue. It is imperative that we transition to a low-carbon economy, invest in renewable energy, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
I urge you to support policies that will help to mitigate the impacts of climate change, such as:
- Implementing a carbon tax or cap-and-trade program to incentivize the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Investing in renewable energy, such as wind, solar, and geothermal, to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
- Increasing energy efficiency standards for buildings and appliances to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Promoting public transportation, biking, and walking infrastructure to reduce reliance on personal vehicles.
- Protecting and preserving our forests, wetlands, and other natural areas, which serve as carbon sinks and provide critical habitats for wildlife.
I believe that the actions we take today will have a profound impact on the future of our planet and the health and well-being of our communities. I urge you to prioritize climate action and support policies that will move us toward a more sustainable and resilient future.
Thank you for your attention to this critical issue.
[Your name and contact info]